International students travelling to Canada are not required to apply for a study visa unless the programmes they are enrolled in are longer than 6 months. Acquiring a study permit does however have significant benefits to students, giving them permission to seek part-time employment on campus and since April 2006, off-campus, for up to 20 hours per week whilst they are completing their studies.

Under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Programmes, international graduates from Canadian higher education institutions are eligible to apply for employment for up to two years.